Do you want to meal prep 5 meals in under 45 minutes? Not only is this recipe a time saver – these healthy turkey taco bowls with black beans are absolutely delicious. They give you that “fast-food” kick you get when eating at Taco Bell and Del Taco without the guilt. This ground turkey recipe has easily became one of my favorites and I make it all the time.
Skip to Printable Recipe
There is one shortcut I take in order to make this happen in 45 minutes or less, but it’s a healthy shortcut, I promise. I use a can of organic, low-sodium cooked black means. If you prefer to cook your own beans that is perfectly fine as well. Also note that you can make these bowls with your favorite beans such as pinto or white beans. You can also substitute the ground turkey for ground turkey breast for a leaner bowl. I’ve also done lean ground beef bowls (93% lean) to switch things up once in a while.
Healthy Turkey Taco Bowls with Black Beans Ingredients
For this recipe, we are going to need:
- 1 red or white onion, medium or large
- 2 small Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup feta cheese or American shredded cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-15oz cans of low-sodium black beans
- 2 Lbs of ground turkey / ground turkey breast / lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 4 Tablespoons McCormick’s Taco Seasoning Mix (or two, 1 oz packets)
- 5 Meal Prep Containers
- 5 Sandwich Bags
Step 1: Make Onion, Tomato and Cheese Topping
In order to chop the onion and tomatoes with ease, I purchased a vegetable chopper from amazon. After chopping the onions and tomatoes, take 1/2 the chopped onion along with the tomatoes and mix well. Divide the onion and tomato mix evenly among the 5 sandwich bags. Then, evenly distribute the 1/2 cup of cheese into the 5 sandwich bags. Set bags aside.
Step 2: Cook Turkey Taco Meat
Set non-stick cooking pan to medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1/2 chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until onion just starts to become transparent. Add the 2 lbs of ground turkey to onion and garlic mix and continue to cook until meat fat runs into the pot, about 10 minutes or so. Using a large spoon, remove the fat as best you can. Add the 4 tablespoons of McCormick Taco seasoning and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until turkey becomes well done.
Step 3: Assemble Turkey Taco Bowls
Open the two cans of black beans. Evenly distribute the cans of beans into the 5 meal prep containers by “eye-balling”. What I do is pour a little bit of beans on each meal prep container with the first can, then do the same with the second can. This distributes the beans evenly across the 5 containers. Using the same distribution strategy, add the turkey taco meat on top of the black beans. Of course, if you have a food scale, feel free to use that to evenly distribute the black beans and turkey taco meat. Finally, take the 5 sandwich bags containing the onion, tomato and cheese topping and place them inside each meal prep container. Close the lid on your meal prep containers and refrigerate.
Step 4: Reheating Your Turkey Taco and Black Bean Bowls
When you re-heat your healthy turkey taco meat bowls, remove your container lid and onion, tomato and cheese topping sandwich bag. Microwave the turkey taco meat and black means only for about 2 minutes. Remove the container from the microwave and add the onion, tomato and cheese topping from the sandwich bag into the bowl. Enjoy your healthy taco meat bowl!
Healthy Turkey Taco Bowls with Black Beans Printable Recipe
Healthy Turkey Taco Bowls with Black Beans
- 1 red or white onion large, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup low fat feta cheese or substitute your favorite cheese
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 15 oz cans of low-sodium black beans
- 2 Lbs of ground turkey / ground turkey breast / lean ground beef 93% lean
- 4 Tablespoons McCormick's Taco Seasoning Mix or two, 1 oz packets
- 5 Meal Prep Containers
- 5 Sandwich Bags
- Onion, Tomato and Cheese Topping Bags - Mix 1/2 chopped onion and 2 chopped tomatoes well. Distribute onion and tomato mix evenly into 5 sandwitch bags. Distribute 1/2 cup cheese evenly into the 5 sandwich bags and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick cooking pot over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1/2 chopped onion and minced garlic into pot. Cook about 5 minutes or until the onion just starts to become transparent.
- Add the 2 lbs of ground turkey into cooking pot and continue to cook until meat fat runs into the pot, about 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out most of the fat juice. Mix in the 4 tablespoons of McCormick Taco seasoning and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until turkey becomes well done. Set turkey meat aside.
- Taco Bowl Assembly: Evenly distribute the 2 cans of black beans and turkey taco meat into the 5 meal prep containers. Place onion, tomato and cheese topping bag inside each container and seal.
- To reheat turkey taco bowls: remove the topping bag and microwave taco meat and beans only. Once heated, add the onion, tomato and cheese topping to the bowl. Enjoy!